Manage episode 301609621 series 2467633
Julia and her wife, Grace Bonney, have an honest talk about body stuff.
- Head here to Dinnerly and use the code 'KEEPCALM' to get $60 off of your first 4 boxes!
- To pre-order Grace's upcoming book, Collective Wisdom, head here.
- To order signed copies of all of Julia's cookbooks, including Simply Julia, head here.
- To order Keep Calm & Cook On merch, head here.
Mental Health Resources:
- For a list of anti-diet, Health at Every Size + Intuitive Eating providers for disordered-eating recovery, head here. For an additional list of Certified Intuitive Eating Counselors, head here.
- There are also some good low-cost support groups available, such as the Center for Discovery’s virtual groups for people of various ages and backgrounds, or Nalgona Positivity Pride’s Sage and Spoon groups for BIPOC folks ages 18 and up.
Books/Authors to Follow:
- Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia by Sabrina Strings
- Body Respect: What Conventional Health Books Get Wrong, Leave Out, and Just Plain Fail to Understand About Weight by Dr. Lindo Bacon and Lucy Aphramor
- Radical Belonging: How to Survive and Thrive in an Unjust World (While Transforming it for The Better) by Dr. Lindo Bacon
- What We Don't Talk About When We Talk About Fat by Aubrey Gordon
- Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay
- The Body is Not An Apology: The Power of Radical Self Love by Sonya Renee Taylor
- Sitting Pretty: The View From My Ordinary Resilient Disabled Body by Rebekah Taussig
- Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the 21st Century, Edited by Alice Wong
- Being Heumann: An Unrepentant Memoir of a Disability Rights Activist by Judy Heumann with Kristen Joiner
Selected Romance Novelists:
- Jasmine Guillory
- Casey McQuiston
- Morgan Rogers
- Selena Montgomery (a.ka. Stacey Abrams!)
- Harper Bliss (specifically the Pink Bean series)
Articles/Additional Writers to Follow:
- "Reading Anti-Racist Nonfiction is a Start. But Don't Underestimate the Power of Black Fiction" by Jasmine Guillory
- "How Writing a Cookbook Helped Me Break Free From Diet Culture" by Julia Turshen (excerpted by Healthyish from Simply Julia)
- "Smash the Wellness Industry" by Jessica Knoll
- Imani Barbarin (Crutches & Spice)
Podcasts / TV Show: