Manage episode 337963675 series 2793047
Allen Hilton is the author of A House United: How the Church Can Save the World and founder of the non-profit, A House United. In this episode, we discuss the rise of political divisiveness that has invaded our churches. And we address what we can do about it.
THIS EPISODE'S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- Allen Hilton is the author of A House United: How The Church Can Save the World. Allend Hilton has been a New Testament professor at Yale Divinty School, has served as a pastor for 15 years, and in 2016 started a non-profit called A House United.
- The problem that America is facing today is that we don’t “stay at the table.”
- According to Allen Hilton, the church bears responsibility for the polarization in America today.
- Allen Hilton shows how the church throughout history—even the early church—has been prone to polarization.
- In choosing the twelve disciples, Jesus chose people who were politically diametrically opposed to each other.
- Allen Hilton suggests that if we can get 70% of Christians to be willing to have conversations with people they disagree with, things will begin to change.
- They way we increase shalom is by getting good at being together across difference.
- People’s primary identity is their political affiliation. If churches never address politics in our discourse, then we will fail to connect with what is most important to people.
- Allen Hilton explains Mission 4.0:
- Mission 1.0 is evangelism.
- Mission 2.0 is charity and service.
- Mission 3.0 is justice.
- Mission 4.0 is unity in the church and beyond the church.
- Allen Hilton does a daily devotional which you can sign up for HERE.
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS:
- Allen Hilton:
- Books mentioned:
- A House United, by Allen Hilton
Learn how to lead your church into ministry that matters. Check out the online course, Engaging God's Mission.