Manage episode 331517289 series 1355223
Sharon welcomes social justice educator, yoga teacher, and author Jacoby Ballard to the Metta Hour for Episode 185.
Jacoby has taught Queer and Trans Yoga since 2006. In 2008, he Co-Founded the Third Root Community Health Center in Brooklyn as a healing and social justice space. His first book, “A Queer Dharma: Yoga and Meditations for Liberation,” was released in 2021 from North Atlantic Books.
Today's podcast is brought to you by BetterHelp. Click to receive 10% off your first month with your own licensed professional therapist: betterhelp.com/metta
In this conversation, Jacoby and Sharon discuss:
• How Jacoby began his practice in high school & college
• The release of Jacoby’s new book in the time of Covid
• Applying dharma teachings to explore identity
• The path of liberation for those targeted by systems of oppression
• Addressing the trauma in the room
• Noble silence versus silencing
• Lovingkindness in Queer communities
• Acceptance and anger
• Forgiveness is not amnesia
• Jacoby’s self-care practices
• How to find the therapist for you
• Guidance for Queer and Trans meditators
• How to be a better LGBTQ+ ally
The episode closes with Jacoby leading a guided Mudita (joy) meditation practice. To learn more about Jacoby’s work, you can visit his website.