493: Osteoporosis, Vitamin D, and Calcium Physiology: Robert P. Heaney, M.D., Professor of Medicine at Creighton University
Manage episode 1839480 series 3509
Our guest is Dr. Robert Heaney from Creighton University. Dr. Haney has spent over 50 years in the study of osteoporosis, vitamin D, and calcium physiology. He's authorized three books and has published over 400 original papers, chapters and monographs in the scientific and educational fields. In the interview today, Dr. Haney? covers the following topics:
- The relationship of vitamin D and calcium and how they work together
- In terms of osteoporosis, and prevention of osteoporosis, is it possible to separate the importance of vitamin D and calcium, or do they go hand-in-hand?
- Calcium deficiency - is it possible? If so, what's the impact?
- Recommended calcium levels for adult men and women
- Calcium rich food sources, and bioavailability of various foods
- Various forms of calcium supplements evaluated
- The relationship between calcium and prostate cancer
- The relationship between calcium and coronary calcification
- The relationship between calcium and kidney stones
- The relationship between calcium and weight loss
- Emerging calcium and Vitamin D research