Manage episode 350664643 series 1394353
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
- 04:04 - How John Spears became obsessed with investing when he was 12 years old.
- 11:34 - How skipping school to meet an investing legend set him on a path to success.
- 16:07 - How a catastrophic early investment humbled John & taught him to be more prudent.
- 24:12 - Why he focuses intensely on tracking insider buying of cheap stocks by top executives.
- 27:28 - What he learned by studying Ben Graham & teaching himself to buy cheap stocks.
- 32:42 - How Warren Buffett bought his stake in Berkshire Hathaway through Tweedy, Browne.
- 41:54 - What it was like sharing an office with another fabled investor, Walter Schloss.
- 50:12 - Why John owns high-quality compounders like Heineken & Nestle, which aren’t cheap.
- 52:01 - What empirical research has taught him about the strategies that work best over time.
- 1:01:29 - Why we should focus on achieving “satisfactory” returns, not shooting the lights out.
- 1:08:40 - Why it’s wise to avoid a lot of debt, live within your means, & keep ample cash reserves.
- 1:12:02 - Why we should diversify overseas, maximizing our odds of finding undervalued stocks.
- 1:13:36 - How John thinks about investing in foreign markets like China, the U.K., & Switzerland.
- 1:20:40 - Why he prefers to own a “dull old” stock like Tesco, instead of something sexier & riskier.
- 1:27:42 - What factors have contributed to him having a happy life.
- 1:38:01 - How the principles he learned as a Quaker have influenced the way he lives & works.
- 1:50:36 - Why he regards capitalism as a powerful force for good.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Tweedy, Browne’s research papers on what’s worked in investing over the long run.
- The Tweedy, Browne International Value Fund.
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
- William Green’s Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Monitor your recovery, sleep, training, and health, with personalized recommendations and coaching feedback with WHOOP. Use code WSB to save 10% off your order today.
- Invest in high-quality, cash-flowing real estate without all of the hassle with Passive Investing.
- Get position and investment info for nearly 6,000 Asset Management Companies with Moomoo, Australia’s first A.I. powered trading platform. Sign up and fund your moomoo account before October 31 and get $10 for every $100 you deposit. All investment carries risk. AFSL 224 663. T&Cs apply.
- Get personalized, expert advice that helps you see things clearly with ATB.
- Have gold and silver shipped directly to your door for you to hold at your home. Get BullionMax’s Gold Investor Kit today - 3 ounces of the world’s most desirable gold coins, including the Gold American Eagle and Canadian Maple Leaf.
- In a world of probabilities, trade the possibilities with Pepperstone.
- If you’re a sales professional, get every real time advantage you can get with Sales Navigator. Enjoy 60 days of free trial today.
- Guess less and sell more with the Number 1 email marketing and automation brand, Intuit Mailchimp.
- If your business has five or more employees and managed to survive Covid you could be eligible to receive a payroll tax rebate of up to twenty-six thousand dollars per employee. Find out if your business qualifies with Innovation Refunds.
- Be an Atakama investor today and help protect customer privacy in the face of endlessly growing data breaches.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Find people with the right experience and invite them to apply to your job. Try ZipRecruiter for FREE today.
- More wealth, more purpose, or making more of a difference? Commonwealth Private helps you create more of yours - with exceptional service and experts who meticulously tailor opportunities for you.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!