Manage episode 308078516 series 2919234
In this very special bonus episode, we turn to the contemporary masterpiece (ahem) Schmigadoon! - Apple TV's 2021 spoof/homage to the great musicals of yore.
We talk about:
- The show’s creators, Cinco Paul & Ken Daurio, and their origins in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
- The "marriage trope" – does the show uphold it or undermine it (or both)?
- The song "This Is How We Change" and its inherent questions about transformation. How does musical theatre change - and how do we?
- Schmigadoon!’s articulation of the Gospel and the redefinition of love in the sermon of Reverend Layton
- The MANY spoofs & Easter eggs found in this love letter to the world of musical theatre
- The company of Schmigadoon! singing the title number, "Schmigadoon," "Corn Puddin’" and "This Is How We Change"
- Cecily Strong, Cassandra Consiglio & Alex Barima singing "Va-Gi-Na"
- Jane Krakowski singing "I Always, Always, Never Get My Man"