Manage episode 301393012 series 2576053
It's one of the United States' most powerful advocacy groups and is a fierce defender of gun rights.
But it hasn't always been like this.
In this episode, we'll discover how it went from helping create gun control laws to becoming the most powerful pro-gun organisation in Washington D.C.
- The early years of the NRA
- Helping introduce gun control laws in the 1930s
- Passing the Gun Control Act of 1968
- The 1970s: A change in the NRA
- What does the NRA actually do? 5 key activities
- How the NRA reacts after a mass shooting
- The effect on the NRA of mass shootings
- Barack Obama: "the best gun salesman in America"
- The controversy within the NRA
- How many Americans live in a household with guns?
- American perceptions towards gun ownership
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/nra