Manage episode 293004048 series 2576053
The Olympics are meant to be a politics-free zone.
But is this ever really possible?
In this episode, we'll learn about the history of The Olympics, and analyse five times politics was at the heart of the games.
- History of The Ancient Olympics
- When The Olympics were banned by the Romans
- Revival of Olympics in 19th century
- Baron Pierre de Coubertin & The first modern Olympics in 1896
- 1936 Olympics in Berlin
- 1972 Olympics in Mexico City
- 1976 Olympics in Montreal
- 1980 Olympics in Moscow
- 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi
- Politics and The Olympics in the age of social media
- Can politics ever be kept out of the games?
- Sport: War, minus the shooting
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/politics-and-olympics