Manage episode 282866611 series 2576053
It's the world's favourite sweet snack, and the chocolate industry is worth over $100 billion.
Discover the fantastic history of where it comes from, how it became so popular, and learn about some of the economics of chocolate production.
- The Theobroma Cacao tree: where it all starts
- Aztecs & the early years of drinking chocolate
- The arrival of the Spanish Conquistadors & a ‘bitter drink for pigs’
- Arriving in Europe
- How cacao trees grow (and why it can't in Europe)
- The invention of the cacao press
- The golden era of chocolate
- The industrialisation of the chocolate process
- Chocolate manufacturing & poverty
- Cacao trading & buying futures
- Chocfinger: the man who cornered the world cacao market
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/chocolate