Manage episode 324305586 series 2974289
Welcome to the stunning oceanside city of Essaouira, located southwest of Casablanca, due west of Marrakesh, and midway down the Atlantic coast of Morocco.
In this episode, Azdean welcomes Xavier Panadés, owner of the riad "Riad Zahra," which sits but one block from Essaouira's stunning beach and oceanfront promenade. Xavier has Moroccan roots, but grew up in Barcelona, before returning to Morocco, settling in Essaouira and opening his Riad about 16 years ago.
Essaouira has many claims to fame, perhaps none more important or poignant than as a melting pot of cultures and religions. Arabs, Jews and Christians have lived together harmoniously for hundreds of years, a source of pride for the locals, known as swiriyin and swiriyat.
Xavier gives us some background on things to see and do in Essaouira, local dishes, spices and markets, and the story behind his beautiful riad, which combines Moroccan and Spanish cuisine and influences.
You're about to learn:
- About Essaouira's Game of Thrones connection. Orson Welles too.
- About Riad Zahra, just 2 minutes' walk from the beach.
- Check out the amazing Live Webcam!!
- The Gnaoua International Music Festival, one of the largest music festivals in the world.
- The Hiloula Jewish festival, commemorating Rabbi Haim Pinto.
The special tagines of Essaouira:
- eel tagine
- octopus tagine
- Useful, valuable tips for buying Argan oil, Olive oil and even Moroccan honey. Look for the new official government label to ensure quality control.
- How Essaouira is a haven for Thuya wood and Argan trees.
Resources Mentioned in this episode:
Do you dream of exploring the enchanting land of Morocco?
Destination Morocco is your ultimate travel experience for those seeking luxury and adventure. We specialize in crafting bespoke itineraries tailored to your unique tastes and desires.
If you're a discerning traveler who values an immersive, curated adventure, visit www.destinationsmorocco.com, and let us bring your dream Moroccan vacation to life.
Learn more about Azdean and Destination Morocco.
Download the stunning Destination Morocco magazine!
Follow the podcast and help us grow.