Manage episode 365088607 series 8241
As-Salaamu Alaikum, welcome back to Islamic History Exclusive.
This is the podcast exclusively for Patreon subscribers of the Islamic History Podcast.
In this series, we are going over the life of Salahuddin al-Ayyubi known to the west as Saladin.
In today’s episode, we’ll be discussing the Battle of Hattin.
But before we get into that, let's begin with a recap of where we are so far.
1. From 1183 to 1185, Salahuddin launches several raids into Frankish Palestine and Transjordan
2. The Franks, stymied by infighting and weak leadership, are unable to respond appropriately
3. Baldwin IV dies in 1186 and his eight-year-old nephew, Baldwin V takes the throne
4. Salahuddin falls gravely ill in the winter of 1186 and his empire almost disintegrates
5. Once he recovers, Salahuddin makes peace with the Zengis and Mosul becomes a vassal
And with that, let’s discuss the Battle of Hattin, one of the most important events in Muslim history.