TIP505: The Price of Time w/ Edward Chancellor
Manage episode 350063594 series 1394353
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- 01:08 - Why the interest rate is putting a price on time.
- 14:50 - Why John Law is the most extraordinary person in the history of finance.
- 19:00 - The history of the first experiment of easy money by a central bank.
- 35:36 - Why “2% return” has caused the issues we currently see and have caused multiple other booms and busts throughout time.
- 39:42 - What the natural level of interest rates are.
- 43:46 - Why irresponsible monetary policy has an impact on creative destruction and, in turn, productivity and wage growth.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Edward Chancellor’s book, The Price of Time – Read reviews of this book.
- Check the authenticity of any quote on Quote Investigator.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get position and investment info for nearly 6,000 Asset Management Companies with Moomoo, Australia’s first A.I. powered trading platform. Sign up and fund your moomoo account before October 31 and get $10 for every $100 you deposit. All investment carries risk. AFSL 224 663. T&Cs apply.
- A gourmet gift from Omaha Steaks is a gift from the heart – a gift your family and friends will surely remember with every unforgettable bite. Use promo code WSB at checkout to get $30 OFF your order.
- If your business has five or more employees and managed to survive Covid you could be eligible to receive a payroll tax rebate of up to twenty-six thousand dollars per employee. Find out if your business qualifies with Innovation Refunds.
- If you’re a sales professional, get every real time advantage you can get with Sales Navigator. Enjoy 60 days of free trial today.
- Invest in high-quality, cash-flowing real estate without all of the hassle with Passive Investing.
- Have gold and silver shipped directly to your door for you to hold at your home. Get BullionMax’s Gold Investor Kit today - 3 ounces of the world’s most desirable gold coins, including the Gold American Eagle and Canadian Maple Leaf.
- More wealth, more purpose, or making more of a difference? Commonwealth Private helps you create more of yours - with exceptional service and experts who meticulously tailor opportunities for you.
- Monitor your recovery, sleep, training, and health, with personalized recommendations and coaching feedback with WHOOP. Use code WSB to save 10% off your order today.
- In a world of probabilities, trade the possibilities with Pepperstone.
- Ship with FedEx and be ready for this holiday season with picture proof of delivery.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital's Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- Enjoy 10% off your first booking in Viator’s world of over 300,000 experiences you’ll remember. Download the Viator app now and use code VIATOR10.
- Guess less and sell more with the Number 1 email marketing and automation brand, Intuit Mailchimp.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!