Manage episode 295115082 series 118896
One of the most dynamic filmmakers working in the industry, Edgar Wright, is making a documentary about the band Sparks. All three are joining today to discuss this film, The Sparks Brothers!
In this episode, we talk about…
- How Edgar Wright and Ron and Russell Mael (of Sparks) met over Twitter and ultimately decided to make a documentary about the band.
- How the group approached making the documentary so that it would have Wright’s stamp on it, rather than being dry like many other documentaries.
- How Wright thought about using a Sparks song in Hot Fuzz, but didn’t because their songs demand so much attention.
- How Wright’s and Sparks’ artistic sensibilities align.
- How music operates as a part of Wright’s process.
- Artistic influences for Sparks on their music and creative process.
- Influences on Wright both for general filmmaking and on his approach in creating a music documentary.
Links to Resources:
Go see The Sparks Bros film in a theater near you, releasing this week on June 18th!
You can read about all this and more at https://nofilmschool.com/. You can also check out our Gear Guides and Entertainment News on the right hand side.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices