Manage episode 292214184 series 2293081
Today’s guest is Ted Fleming, who is the head of talent development for CVS, which is the drugstore and healthcare company with more than 300,000 employees. His responsibilities include learning and career development for all employees, executive development, and providing business consulting solutions. Ted has more than 30 years of experience in the healthcare, financial services, and education industries as a strategic planner, consultant, business owner, and general manager.
Ted Fleming is the author of the new book Develop: 7 Practical Tools to Take Charge of Your Career, and he speaks frequently with others on career development. Andy speaks with him about the importance of networking to build your career.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- Ted Fleming’s background in education, banking, and how he landed in the healthcare industry.
- What surprised him most about working with human resources (HR).
- How he navigated working in healthcare during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The philosophy he’s used to help his frontline employees handle the recent challenges and how he’s helped them continue to learn and train even when they’re hourly.
- How Ted Fleming and his team have approached diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and how they plan to continue those initiatives.
- How you can use the tips in his book to feel more confident in your career.
- The three things you can do to begin feeling unstuck in your career.
- Why you should follow your curiosity to discover a new career path.
- How you can use your network to help guide your career choices and identify transferable skills.
- Why you need to identify your leadership style and your personal brand and how those two things can affect future career growth.
- The reason feedback is so important for an organization to provide to its employees to fuel career growth.
- His proudest career accomplishment and the mistake he makes too often.
- The virtual learning trend and how it’s affecting his industry.
- The reason you need to read The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell and The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.
- Why activating your network is the most important part of growing your career.
Connect with Andy Storch here:
Connect with Ted Fleming: