’Stairway to Heaven’: Do the Lyrics to the Led Zeppelin Classic Really Mean Anything?
Manage episode 357473798 series 2973390
In this final episode of Season 2, Butch and Kevin dig into the song that is considered by many the greatest rock song ever recorded. What we specifically take a look at are the almost dream-like lyrics and whether or not they are filled with important symbolism or just words Robert Plant created to fit the music.
- The beer of the week was supposed to be Founder's Centennial IPA, but then Butch busted out Korbel champagne to celebrate our one-year anniversary. Cheers!
- Plant himself even said he can interpret the song's lyrics in different ways at different times.
- The song seems to change points of view multiple times.
- Plant also was highly influenced by the writing of J.R.R. Tolkein, which could explain some of the imagery, such as "rings of smoke through the trees."
- Taken on their own, many of the lyrics seem to resemble a cross between Spinal Tap lyrics and Monty Python quotes. And yet, there's something more ...
- Here is a thorough breakdown of the lyric: https://extrachill.com/led-zeppelin-stairway-to-heaven-meaning
- Here is Dread Zeppelin’s wonderful reggae-drenched version of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7DqjyNGHJU