Manage episode 271474061 series 2786758
In today's episode, Ben and I discuss how we measure our client's progress and what to expect in the first one to three months of recovery treatment. We'll talk about where we see our clients make the most common mistakes and where addicts fall short in the treatment process.
During our team meeting once a week, our staff discusses challenges and celebrations among our patients. "One issue that jumped out at us yesterday is video game addiction." Ben believes that this addiction can significantly sidetrack the recovery process, slowing it down. One negative effect is the disruption in client sleep cycles. In this episode, Ben gives real client examples of the adverse effects of video game addiction.
We choose not to restrict our members from the outside world because that is unrealistic. This gives us the chance to see negative behaviors in our clients and the opportunity to correct those during their recovery period. "I want to know the truth about people and what their behavior truly looks like. I don't want some version of them that I'm creating, that's not organic by putting parameters on what they are allowed to do and not allowed to do."
Our team looks at how our clients are utilizing their treatment time outside of scheduled activities. We hold our clients accountable for their treatment homework and follow-up to ensure they have their assignments completed before their scheduled time. Clients need to complete their task, as working through recovery involves learning about yourself. If a client doesn't do their homework, they will not progress through therapy.
Getting into the habit and responsibility of completing your homework in therapy gives you an understanding of what it takes to continue your work outside of treatment. When you consistently complete assignments, you give yourself the foundation to continue your work when you leave our recovery center. This usually results in clients who are more successful at continuing their recovery for life.
At Rock Recovery Center, we take a humanistic approach to recovery, teaching our clients how to live independently in a sober world. We care about the success and safety of each and every one of our clients from the moment they step into our center to the future of their well-being.
Check out my new website where you can download any episode right from my site along with other useful information for those in recovery.
- Share this podcast with a friend and leave us a review!
- [04:49] The process at Rock Recovery center for information intake.
- [05:40] Examples of video game addiction.
- [09:20] Ben talks about the importance of seeing bad behaviors so they can be addressed.
- [11:34] A good determinate of how our clients are going to do post-treatment is how they are progressing during treatment.
- [13:45] How a client spends their time during treatment versus after they leave and what they are doing with their friends.
- [17:35] When clients don’t do their homework in rehab, they typically don’t follow-up outside of rehab.
- [19:33] Our team wants to see the effort our clients put in at Rock Recovery Center.
- [20:11] Those who focus on others instead of themselves is a red flag.
- [23:42] We are here to be part of the process, however; a client must be willing to learn.
- [27:57] Behaviors that can lead to relapse.
Episode Links and Resources
- Real Recovery Live Chat
- Real Recovery Talk on the Web
- Real Recovery Talk on YouTube
- Leave Real Recovery Talk a review on iTunes
- Rock Recovery Center
- Real Recovery Talk on Facebook
- Ideas for a show? Email us firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Podcast editing and show notes by Pro Podcast Solutions