Manage episode 327185382 series 2391880
In what circumstances do you need to be carried? I think of when I'm hurt or incapacitated -- any time when I can't carry myself. Ellie Holcomb's song "I Will Carry You" led me to consider God's thoughts on why He carries us.
Join me in the pages of Scripture to see why God even indicated He would carry us in the first place.
In this week's episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture - this week's Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Slow down
- Make a list
- Meditate on Scripture
- Read in context
- Complete a word study
- Consider the opposite
- Compare and contrast
- How our featured area of meditation inspired Ellie Holcomb in the writing of the song as well - Isaiah 46:4 - JubileeCast.com Article
- How slowing down can lead to deeper observations and greater understanding
- God's method of getting us to look more closely at an idea - "Listen to me"
- The different words for "carry" used in this section of Isaiah
- God's reasoning behind His willingness to carry us
- Considering the opposite of what it would look like if God did not carry us
- God's compare and contrast between false God and Himself (spoiler alert: there is no comparison)
- Discovering the best place to start in Isaiah to take in more of the context of our focus area - reading Isaiah 40-46
- Uncovering the contrast between how we must carry our false gods and how God carries us - Isaiah 46:1-4
- The sky god and the wisdom god of Isaiah 46:1 compared with the only true God - Isaiah 40:12-14,
- God's question to us -- and His answer - Isaiah 40:18, Isaiah 46:5, Isaiah 46:9
As you sing this song and meditate on God's words through the prophet Isaiah, I pray you allow the Holy Spirit to reveal what ways you are leaning on other things to carry you.More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics - NewReleaseToday.com
- "Ellie Holcomb Shares About the Making of 'I Will Carry You'" - JubileeCast.com Article
- Dr. J. Vernon McGee: Outline for Isaiah - BlueLetterBible.org
- Enduring Word Commentary: Isaiah 46 - EnduringWord.com
- "How to Read the Bible Book by Book" by Fee and Stuart - Amazon Paid Link
Read Isaiah 40-46. Unpack and meditate on verses 1-4 of chapter 46. Focus on who God is and His promise to carry you. Meditate on the truth. Consider what the opposite of depending upon God to carry you looks like. Respond to your Heavenly Father with a heart of gratitude for His faithfulness. The God who created the heavens and is Wisdom lifts you, carries you, and delivers you.