Manage episode 325314817 series 3266238
With the appearance of the Kirin Dry Gigs from 1988 appearing on YouTube earlier this year, a long-lost footnote in Billy Joel history has finally resurfaced.
This one-off gig in Japan finds Billy performing with just one member of his longtime touring band. They’re joined by players who performed on other tours in the 80s, musicians who would go on to tour with Billy in support of Storm Front, and a few guests who would only share the stage this one time.
That combination of musicians makes BIlly’s only major concert appearance from this year a unique and intriguing listen. The arrangements stay close to the Bridge tour and Russia shows, but streamline in places and stray in others.
And, the discerning ear may even notice a mistake or two from the temporary ensemble.
Join us, as we dig deep into BIlly’s show at the Tokyo Domein Japan on July 24, 1988.
Date: July 14, 1988 City/Country: Tokyo, Japan Venue: Tokyo Dome Event/Festival: Kirin Dry Gigs '88
- Billy Joel - Vocals, Piano, Keyboards, Guitar
- Liberty DeVitto - Drums
- David Lebolt - Keyboards
- Schuyler Deale - Bass
- Peter Hewlett - Rhythm Guitar, Vocals
- John McCurry - Lead Guitar
- Eric Bazilian - Saxophone
- A Matter of Trust
- Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)
- The Stranger
- An Innocent Man
- Big Man On Mulberry Street
- Only The Good Die Young
- It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
- You May Be Right
- Big Shot
- My Life
- Keeping The Fatih
- Back In The U.S.S.R.
- I Saw Her Standing There
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Glass Houses - A Billy Joel Podcast on the web / social media:
- Website: http://www.glasshousespod.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/glasshousespodcast/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/glasshousespod/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/glasshousespod
- Discord: https://discord.gg/6G6cMRFu7T
Support the podcast:
- Paypal: https://paypal.me/glasshousespod
- Venmo: @MGrosvenor
Produced by Michael Grosvenor & Jack Firneno for Groove Music Marketing