Manage episode 315450450 series 3266238
The fact that a Billy Joel bootleg is named after a Bruce Springsteen song should clue in the listener that this show’s a little different from what you may expect.
Recorded at Maurice Gusman Concert Hall in Miami, FL on October 31, 1977, Thunder Road isn’t a radical change from the Billy we know. But, there’s a big focus on a part of live act that never quite made it onto official records.
It’s his skill at impersonating other musicians -- both their playing and their personalities -- that shine at this show.
This recording also captures a curious moment in Billy’s career. It’s at the beginning of the Stranger tour, just before the record broke wide open and made Billy a household name.
The show is more streamlined than recordings from a few years prior, but not quite as realized as his performances would be in just a few more months. It also features a temporary lineup with a short-lived guitar player.
Join us as we dive deep into a show from Billy Joel on the eve of superstardom.
Date: October 31, 1977 City/State: Miami, FL Venue: Maurice Gusman Concert Hall
- Billy Joel - Vocals, Piano, Keyboards
- Liberty DeVitto - Drums
- Doug Stegmeyer - Bass, Vocals
- Richie Cannata - Saxophone, Flute, Keyboards, Accordion, Vocals
- Frank Vento - Guitar
- The Stranger
- Somewhere Along The Line
- Summer, Highland Falls
- Piano Man
- Thunder Road
- Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
- Travelin' Prayer
- Let 'Em In
- Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
- Still Crazy After All These Years
- Just The Way You Are
- Prelude / Angry Young Man
- New York State Of Mind
- The Entertainer
- Root Beer Rag
- You Are So Beautiful
- She's Always A Woman
- I've Loved These Days
- Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway
- The Ballad Of Billy The Kid
- Captain Jack
- Say Goodbye To Hollywood
- Only The Good Die Young
- Get It Right The First Time
- Weekend Song
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Glass Houses - A Billy Joel Podcast on the web / social media:
- Website: http://www.glasshousespod.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/glasshousespodcast/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/glasshousespod/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/glasshousespod
- Discord: https://discord.gg/6G6cMRFu7T
Support the podcast:
- Paypal: https://paypal.me/glasshousespod
- Venmo: @MGrosvenor
Produced by Michael Grosvenor & Jack Firneno for Groove Music Marketing