Manage episode 295825022 series 2576053
🚀 🚀 🚀 Black Friday Offer 🚀 🚀 🚀
6 Months Free Membership with promo code BLACKFRIDAY
⏱ Ends midnight Monday, November 29th
It is, by some standards, the most successful modern religion.
Discover how Scientology went from the pseudo-medical ideas of an out-of-luck science fiction writer to a religion that counts some of the world's most famous film stars among its believers.
- The early life of L. Ron Hubbard
- Discovering a talent as a science fiction writer
- L. Ron Hubbard's naval career
- Moving to Los Angeles and developing a self-help system
- The publication of Dianetics, a book that contained "more promises and less evidence per page than any publication since the invention of printing"
- L. Ron Hubbard's theory about how the brain worked
- Turning Dianetics into a religion
- Charging large amounts of money to believers
- Making extravagant purchases all over the world
- Scientology's legal troubles
- Launching the Sea Org
- Adding to the doctrine of Scientology
- The disappearance and death of L. Ron Hubbard
- David Miscavige: a new leader arises
- How many Scientologists are there?
- Advertising at The Super Bowl
- Hollywood Scientologists: Tom Cruise & John Travolta
- Criticisms of Scientology
- Scientology's tax battle in the United States
- What actually is a religion?
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/scientology