Manage episode 294630934 series 2576053
It was a revolutionary idea: being able to conduct fast, cheap, and effective blood tests with only a tiny drop of blood.
But it turned out that the company behind it was one, huge fraud.
This is the fascinating story of how a Stanford dropout went from the youngest self-made female billionaire in history to facing 20 years in prison.
- Background of Elizabeth Holmes
- Problem with blood testing
- Dropping out of Stanford
- Telling a fantastic story
- The atmosphere inside Theranos
- Was there any technology really being developed?
- Attracting influential investors and board members
- Too much pressure for scientists within the company
- The public launch of Theranos
- Becoming the youngest self-made female billionaire in history
- Idolising Steve Jobs
- The arrival of John Carreyrou
- Things starting to unravel for Theranos
- Dropping to zero
- Elizabeth Holmes today
- Reflecting on what went wrong
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/theranos
You might like: