Manage episode 295864450 series 52378
This month's episode of Brain Science is an interview with Dr. Stephen Fleming, author of "Know Thyself: The Science of Self-Awareness." We explore the concept of metacognition and learn that while explicit metacognition (thinking about thinking) may be unique to humans, it is built on building blocks shared with other species. We also explore what can go wrong and why it matters.
Special Offer: sign up for free newsletter and get a Free Gift
Links and References:
- Know Thyself: The Science of Self-Awareness by Stephen M Fleming
- Making up the Mind: How the Brain Creates Our Mental World by Chris Frith (2007). Frith was interviewed in BSP 57
- Cognitive Gadgets: The Cultural Evolution of Thinking by Cecilia Heyes (2018). Heyes was interviewed in BS 168.
- Please visit http://brainsciencepodcast.com for additonal references and episode transcripts.
Please Visit Our Sponsors:
- Brain Science comes out on 4th Friday each month.
- Support Brain Science by buying Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty by Virginia "Ginger" Campbell, MD. (Autographed copies are available)
- Learn more ways to support Brain Science at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
- Sign up for the free Brain Science Newsletter to get show notes automatically every month. You can also text brainscience to 55444 to sign up.
- Check out the free Brain Science Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows. (It's a great way to get both new episodes and premium content.)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect on Social Media:
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: http://speakpipe.com/docartemis