BS 184 Mark Solms, author of "The Hidden Spring: A Journey to the Source of Consciousness"
Manage episode 293568405 series 52378
In this month's episode of Brain Science, neuroscientist Mark Solms talks about his new book "The Hidden Spring: A Journey to the Origins of Consciousness." Solms was inspired by the pioneering work of Jaak Panksepp who argued that the origins of consciousness can be traced to the brainstem. In his new book Solms presents the evidence for this viewpoint and explains how the work of computational neuroscientist Karl Friston has provided additional support. We consider the implications for our understanding of both human consciousness and our appreciation for the consciousness of other animals.
Links and References:
- The Hidden Spring: A Journey to the Source of Consciousness by Mark Solms
- Mark Solms: University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Affective Neuroscience: The Foundations of Human and Animal Emotions by Jaak Panksepp (BS 134)
- The Archaeology of Mind: Neuroevolutionary Origins of Human Emotions by Jaak Panksepp and Lucy Biven (BSP 91)
- Solms, M; Friston, K; (2018) How and why consciousness arises: Some considerations from physics and physiology. Journal of Consciousness Studies , 25 (5-6) pp. 202-238. (Download PDF)
- Please visit http://brainsciencepodcast.com for additonal references and episode transcripts.
Please Visit Our Sponsors:
- Email Dr. Campbell if you want to help with improving the Brain Science website or request new features.
- Brain Science comes out on 4th Friday each month.
- Support Brain Science by buying Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty by Virginia "Ginger" Campbell, MD. (Autographed copies are available)
- Learn more ways to support Brain Science at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
- Sign up for the free Brain Science Newsletter to get show notes automatically every month. You can also text brainscience to 55444 to sign up.
- Check out the free Brain Science Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows. (It's a great way to get both new episodes and premium content.)
- Send email to email@example.com
Connect on Social Media:
- Twitter: @docartemis
- Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/brainsciencepodcast
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voicemail: http://speakpipe.com/docartemis