Manage episode 330932015 series 3252615
Dr. Saimun Singla shares her journey first becoming a pediatric rheumatologist (a Pediatrician who further specializes in rheumatology), then becoming diagnosed with adult rheumatoid arthritis after the birth of her second child.
Dr. Singla’s experiences as a patient changed her approach to her patients, and led her to pursue a fellowship in integrative medicine. She shares what’s in her personal RA management toolbox, from sleep and meditation to medication and exercise. She also reflects on how her experiences ultimately led her to open up her own private practice in Houston, TX.
Episode at a glance:
- How Dr Singla became a pediatric rheumatologist
- Diagnosis: Dr Singla gets diagnosed with adult rheumatoid arthritis after the birth of her second child
- Pregnancy: What it was like to be pregnant before rheumatoid arthritis and after her RA diagnosis
- Integrative Medicine: How Dr Singla’s personal journey with RA led her to pursue Integrative medicine
- What’s in Dr. Singla’s personal RA management toolbox: lifestyle factors like nutrition, sleep ,exercise, medication and other mind-body approaches in addition to medications
- Being both patient and doctor: Dr Singla describes how humbling it’s been to be a patient and how that’s led her to be a more empathetic doctor
- Pivoting career due to RA: how she started her own integrative pediatric rheumatology practice, Rheum to Grow, in Houston, TX which allows her to control her schedule and accommodates her RA needs
- Culture and the patient experience: Dr Singla reflects on how her South Asian identity and culture affects her patient experience
- Dr Singla’s words of wisdom for the newly diagnosed
All content found on Arthritis Life public channels was created for generalized informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Rheum to THRIVE, a community support & education program Cheryl created to help people with rheumatic disease go from overwhelmed, confused and alone to confident, supported and connected. Join the waitlist for the next group, which starts in September 2022!
Rheumatoid Arthritis Roadmap, a self-paced online course Cheryl created that teaches you how to confidently manage your physical, social and emotional life with rheumatoid arthritis.
##Full Episode Details & Transcript:
Go to the episode page at www.MyArthritisLife.Net for all links and details!