Manage episode 319974736 series 3252615
Dr. Victoria Sampson explains how oral health, the oral microbiome and rheumatoid arthritis inflammation are all interrelated. She provides ample details about why people with rheumatoid arthritis should take extra care with their oral health, and explains how altering the oral microbiome can potentially lead to improvements in RA disease activity. See full episode notes including a detailed transcript here.
Episode at a glance:
- How rheumatoid arthritis can lead to gum damage and why flossing is so important
- Specific action steps people with RA can take to improve their dental health and oral microbiome
- Cheryl and Dr. Sampson’s tips and life hacks for flossing, brushing and other oral health care when you have hand pain
- What it means to be a holistic dentist or integrative dentist
- What is the oral microbiome and why should people with rheumatoid arthritis care?
- A case study of a patient with severe RA who had dramatically positive response to changing her gut and oral microbiome, as well as overall RA disease activity, through diet and oral hygiene habits.
All content found on Arthritis Life public channels was created for generalized informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Roadmap, a self-paced online course Cheryl created that teaches you how to confidently manage your physical, social and emotional life with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheum to THRIVE, a community support & education program Cheryl created to help people with rheumatic disease go from overwhelmed, confused and alone to confident, supported and connected. The next group starts in April 2022!
For full episode details including speaker bios and a full transcript: