Episode 141: Part 3 - Brigham Young's great, great granddaughter, Sandra Tanner, and James Walker discuss Mormonism
Manage episode 339400077 series 2655939
Racism has been a tragic aspect of our nation's history. But did you know that the Book of Mormon considers dark skin to be a curse? In the Book of Mormon, sections such as Mormon 5:15; 1 Nephi 12:23; 2 Nephi 5:21-22; Alma 3:6; and 2 Nephi 30:6, are clear in what they teach. Dark skin is "loathsome" whereas white or light-skin is "delightsome" and a sign of God's favor. The 1830 version of the Book of Mormon used to read "white and delightsome" (a curious explanation from the LDS Church) but modern versions now say "pure and delightsome." Up until 1978, blacks were not allowed to enter LDS temples or be ordained to the LDS priesthood. But what is the current position of the LDS Church today about racism and dark skin? Is dark skin still a curse?
On part three of our discussion with former Mormon and the great-great granddaughter of Brigham Young, the church's second President and Prophet, James Walker discusses the difficult issue of racism and dark skin in LDS doctrines and what it means for the church today. We will also be featuring a question-and-answer session with our missionary team on this episode you won't want to miss.
Related Links: Get the rest of the story including some of our most popular podcasts on Mormonism, access to some of our key LDS articles and our free, 4-page Watchman Fellowship Profile on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormonism):
- Watchman Fellowship articles on Mormonism: watchman.org/LDS
- Watchman Fellowship Profile on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: watchman.org/Mormonism
- Sandra Tanner's ministry - Utah Lighthouse: Utlm.org
- New biography, Lighthouse: Jerald and Sandra Tanner, Despised and Beloved Critics of Mormonism, by Ronald Huggins V. Huggins: uhop.me/Lighthouse
- 2020 Apologetics Profile podcast interview with Sandra Tanner (Part1): watchman.org/Sandra1
- 2020 Apologetics Profile podcast interview with Sandra Tanner (Part2): watchman.org/Sandra2
- Apologetics Profile podcast with Micah Wilder (YouTube - Part 1): watchman.org/Micah1
- Apologetics Profile podcast with Micah Wilder (YouTube - Part 2) watchman.org/Micah2
- Apologetics Profile podcast with Lynn Wilder (Part 1): watchman.org/Lynn1
- Apologetics Profile podcast with Lynn Wilder (Part 2) watchman.org/Lynn2
- Apologetics Profile podcast What Is the Gospel? with Mormon apologist Scott Gordon and Christian apologist James Walker (YouTube): watchman.org/GordonWalker
FREE: We are also offering a subscription to our 4-page bimonthly Profiles here: www.watchman.org/Free.
PROFILE NOTEBOOK: Order the complete collection of Watchman Fellowship Profiles (over 600 pages -- from Astrology to Zen Buddhism) in either printed or PDF formats here: watchman.org/notebook.
SUPPORT: Help us create more content like this. Make a tax-deductible donation here: www.watchman.org/give.
Apologetics Profile is a ministry of Watchman Fellowship For more information, visit www.watchman.org © Watchman Fellowship, Inc.