Manage episode 337657928 series 3343937
How does the boot camp experience in the United States Army compare to other branches of the United States military?
How does the US military prepare service members for civilian life once they retire?
What are the similarities and differences between military service and foreign service careers?
In this episode, listen to Edwin discuss his life, from being born in the United States to growing up in the Philippines, why he chose to enlist in the United States Army over other U.S. military branches, how his life in the U.S. military was, how and where he met his wife, and how he transitioned from the military into the foreign service industry.
About the Guest:
Edwin Estayo is a former colleague of Mami Redj when she was still employed under a foreign service agency. He is a supportive husband to his band vocalist wife, Jen, and a wonderful father to his lovely daughter, Maxine.
He was born in Los Angeles, California, but spent most of his life in the Philippines. He's a young military veteran, and he's the first AMFP guest to represent the United States Army. He enjoys airsoft as a hobby.
Why you’ve got to check out today’s episode:
- Discover how a military recruiter convinced a civilian into the United States Army.
- Listen to a U.S. Army serviceman's advice on how to handle the boot camp training
- Understand why Edwin would choose to reenlist in the U.S. Army despite the risks
Check out these episode highlights:
- 01:16 - How “Dude!” and I met
- 03:41 - His growing up years in the Philippines and moving back to the U.S.
- 07:48 - How he decided to join the military
- 08:29 - His U.S. Military Recruitment Process
- 10:04 - Why he chose the U.S. Army over the other branches
- 12:19 - His Army boot camp experience
- 16:36 - His body type when he entered the boot camp and his dislike for running
- 17:39 - His unexpected experiences in the boot camp
- 19:09 - His first assignment doing air defense duties
- 20:47 - Basic combat and weapons training
- 22:37 - His airsoft experience before joining the service
- 23:58 - Was he ever deployed
- 24:58 - The importance of foreign language training
- 25:24 - His reason for leaving the service
- 26:55 - His love story made in Korea
- 33:19 - How he transitioned to Foreign Service
- 34:44 - Similarities and differences between military and foreign service
- 37:20 - How he adapted to civilian life
- 39:46 - Will he allow his daughter to join the military
- 41:35 - Will he encourage her
- 43:30 - The importance of military families to service members
- 48:06 - Coming out of retirement if the need arises
- 51:17 - Promoting his wife's band, Silk
Connect with Mami Redj:
Do you want to hear more stories about military families? This is the podcast for you. You can listen to it wherever you are, and it’s completely free. Subscribe to our podcast on Spotify today.
The views and opinions expressed on this podcast are those of the host and guests, and do not reflect the views, positions, and opinions of the U.S. Military, its Foreign Counterparts, and/or other entities they represent.