138. Ministry Leadership in a Time of Immense Change, with Markus Watson
Manage episode 342349208 series 2793047
In a time of immense change, how should churches do ministry? How should pastors and leaders lead their churches and organizations? Should we set a BHAG--a Big Hairy Audacious Goal? Should we set one-year, five-year, and ten-year goals?
Or is there another way? Could it be that what we need are not big, enormous goals, but simple to take small steps and achieve short-term wins?
THIS EPISODE'S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDES:
- Markus Watson questions whether or not churches today should set BHAGs--Big Hairy Audacious Goals.
- “Small steps and short-term wins are the best approach, rather than big programs or large-scale planning.” --Alan Roxburgh, The Missional Leader
- We are living in a time of discontinuous change.
- Continuous change is the kind of change that is expected and understood.
- Discontinuous change is unexpected and hard to understand.
- In times of discontinuous change, Markus Watson suggests churches should not set large goals; rather they should conduct small experiments.
- Missteps and small losses can be just as valuable for churches today as small steps and short-term wins.
- Whether through wins or losses, the most important thing, according to Markus Watson, is to keep learning.
- Through their small wins and losses, churches can learn about their neighbors, about themselves, and about God.
- To learn more, join one of these learning experiences:
- Leading Your Church Through Change, a free online course that teaches the process of action-reflection as a method for leading change in your church.
- Adaptive Church Leadership Cohort, an 18-month deep-dive learning cohort led by Tod Bolsinger and the Church Leadership Institute to help you navigate change in a disruptive world.
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS:
- Books mentioned:
- The Missional Leader: Equipping Your Church to Reach a Changing World, by Alan Roxburgh and Fred Romanuk
- Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies, by Jim Collins
- Online courses and cohorts:
Learn how to lead your church into ministry that matters. Check out my online course, Engaging God's Mission.